Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Army Building with Joe - Part II

I couldn't resist the Centaurs and the project is one that I am looking forward to. As a recap the following is the shell I will start building:

Forces of Nature 

Centaur Bray-Striders Regiment 155pts
Centaur Bray-Striders Regiment 155pts
Centaur Bray-Striders Regiment 155pts
Centaur Bray-Striders Regiment 155pts
Centaur Bray-Striders Regiment 155pts

Centaur Bray-Hunters Troop 105pts
Centaur Bray-Hunters Troop 105pts
Centaur Bray-Hunters Troop 105pts

Centaur Chief (Bow) 115pts
Centaur Chief 105pts

Winged Unicorn (Bane-Chant, Lightning Bolt) 205pts
Winged Unicorn (Bane-Chant, Wing Blast, Zephyr Crown) 225pts

Tree Herder 260pts

Through some trial runs with the list as is I can than take a look at any really obvious issues or struggles that it has.

Hobby Time

Bases

Lots of Forces of Nature armies out there go for the traditional forest or grassland style bases. These look perfectly fine but I like to try and differentiate my armies from the "norm".

Robby King is a fantastic hobbyist and last year did a beautiful Varangur army that had some really cool looking bases.


The crackle medium used in these makes for a really convincing dry and arid earth base. While I wont be doing this exact thing, I plan to use the technique but on a smaller scale. In terms of the color palette I want to do a more warm red shading for the sand and earth.

Models

As for the models themselves I want to go with some lighter yellow and cream colors for the Centaur lower half and a more Native American skin tone for their flesh. For anyone that has not seen the Mantic Centaurs here is a image from the web store.


I think that the yellow/cream mixed with the red undertone of the bases will help them both contrast with each other and be cohesive at the same time.

Winged Unicorns are something I struggled with on what to use for the miniatures. Mantic does not produce one currently and so I had to go searching. Friend of mine generously gave me a beautiful model by Wizkids which is exactly what I wanted, and all it needed were some Elohi wings!




This army will certainly be a change of pace from my very bright and exotic Abyssal army. For Part III hope to have either a test model or base to show off.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment