Monday, July 31, 2017

Army Building with Joe - Part I

Whenever I am toward the end of an army or project, I immediately start to think of what I want to do next! I still have my Warpath Plague army that I am periodically finishing units for, but Kings of War is always getting me excited for a new army.

There are a couple of armies that I had been wanting to do for a while and so I started looking at the lists I would run with each of those.

Orcs

Krudger on Winged Slasher (Healing Brew) 290pts
Krudger on Winged Slasher (Blade of Slashing) 290pts

Godspeaker (Bane-chant, Heal, Myrddin's Amulet) 110pts
Godspeaker (Bane-chant, Heal, The Boomstick) 130pts

Ax Regiment 125pts
Ax Regiment 125pts

Orclings Horde 90pts
Orclings Horde 90pts

Trolls Horde 190pts
Trolls Horde 190pts

Gore Riders Regiment 185pts
Gore Riders Regiment 185pts

Total 2000pts

Seeing double? Good, the idea behind this list is to be able to deploy as two flanking forces or as one more centralized army. Having two of everything means that I can as flexible as possible in each game depending on the scenario.

Only thing that worries me is the lack of inspiring as I would have like a Flagger or two for when the Krudgers go flying off to club something.

Ogres

Ogre Chariot Horde (Maccwar's Potion of the Caterpillar) 285pts
Ogre Chariot Horde (Wine of Elvenkind) 305pts
Ogre Chariot Regiment 170pts
Ogre Chariot Regiment 170pts
Ogre Chariot Regiment 170pts

Mammoth 210pts
Mammoth 210pts

Ogre Captain (Chariot, Blade of Slashing) 155pts
Ogre Captain (Healing Brew) 155pts

Ogre Army Standard (Chariot) 85pts
Ogre Army Standard (Chariot) 85pts

Total 2000pts

Similar to the Orc list, this is a symmetrical style army that is best suited to have smaller battle groups. This is more of a fun list and I like the idea of having everything on a 50x100mm base. Thought about painting it like a Mad Max style theme.

Forces of Nature 

Centaur Bray-Striders Regiment 155pts
Centaur Bray-Striders Regiment 155pts
Centaur Bray-Striders Regiment 155pts
Centaur Bray-Striders Regiment 155pts
Centaur Bray-Striders Regiment 155pts

Centaur Bray-Hunters Troop 105pts
Centaur Bray-Hunters Troop 105pts
Centaur Bray-Hunters Troop 105pts

Centaur Chief (Bow) 115pts
Centaur Chief 105pts

Winged Unicorn (Bane-Chant, Lightning Bolt) 205pts
Winged Unicorn (Bane-Chant, Wing Blast, Zephyr Crown) 225pts

Tree Herder 260pts

We don't see enough Centaurs and I would like to change that. Two units of Bray-Stiders hitting a unit is devastating, Melee 3+ with TC(1) and CS(1) is fantastic. The units are fragile and 12 attacks means you will likely have to combo charge most units with two Centaur units, but Speed 8+ (besides the Tree Herder) across the board is a great way to setup more beneficial charges and combats.

Tree Herder may seem out of place to some people and on the outside he kind of is. I have included him for the ability to help stabilize in scenarios like Dominate. He is very hard to kill with being Def 6 and having 14 points of Heal floating around with the Unicorn's.

Recently having shared this list with some groups and players it has received mixed reviews. I think the frailness of the units and the need for combo charges is putting people off. It will certainly struggle in some games/match up's and the mix of items or units may not be optimized but this is the new list I am going to work on.

In Part II, I will cover the thoughts on paint scheme and modelling of the list. First I have to get some trays on order from Alex at Ironheart Artisans, if you have not checked them out yet you can here www.ironheartartisans.com!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog and looking forward to more! Found it through FB kow fantics page. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete