Friday, July 21, 2017

Battle Report - Forces of the Abyss vs Varangur (2,000 pts)


Forces of the Abyss vs Varangur

Was able to get a game in recently with my newly completed Forces of the Abyss army. It is very rewarding to play with an army that is completely painted and based, it can take a while but well worth the wait.

For the game, it was a tough one. My gaming time is very, very limited and I am usually months between games. Practice is the most important part of being a competitive gamer, have a tactical mind and being a sound player are important as well, but if you are not actually play the game and getting reps in, well its hard to be as competitive as possible.

I don't have any other pictures of the game as I got stuck in and forgot so I can run through the basics of what happened. Here are the lists that were played:

Forces of the Abyss "Flying Circus"

Archfiend of the Abyss
Lightning Bolt (5)
Wings 
Blessing of the Gods
350 pts

Well of Souls
275 pts

Abyssal Champion
Wings
Lightning Bolt (5)
Bloodboil
Myrddin's Amulet of the Fire-heart
250 pts

Abyssal Champion
Wings 
Lightning Bolt (5)
Scarletmaw's Fenulian Amulet
240 pts

Moloch Horde
Brew of Haste
215 pts

Succubi Regiment
Hammer of Measured Force
210 pts

Tortured Souls Horde
Maccwar's Potion of the Caterpillar 
240 pts

Tortured Souls Horde
220 pts

---------------------------------------------------------

Varangur

King on Chimera
Gift of Korgan: Lifeleech 
320 pts

Herja of the Fallen
260 pts

Magus
Famulus
Mount
Weakness 
135 pts

The Fallen Horde
Brew of Strength
270 pts

The Fallen Horde
Helm of the Ram
255 pts

The Fallen Horde
240 pts

Tundra Wolves
110 pts

Tundra Wolves
110 pts

Tundra Wolves
110 pts

Devourer
Breath (10) & Vicious
190 pts

----------------------------------------------------------

We rolled up a scenario out of the Clash of Kings supplement and got PUSH. This is the first time I have played PUSH and it is one that I will have to practice more of with this type of list. Having a low unit count army that is centered around flying makes this one tough. Since carrying the Loot token means that you loose fly, nimble and are reduced to movement 5, every unit in my army is affected in some way, even my Moloch's get hurt by basically loosing their Brew of Haste speed bonus.

I won the roll to go first and allowed my opponent to start. I felt that with my smaller force and the scenario, I wanted to be more reactive and have the final turn to capitalize on the objectives.

First mistake that was made on my part was spreading my characters out to thin. With flying I should have kept them more centralized to cover more of the table as the game developed. By not doing so my opponent was allowed to park a unit of Tundra Wolves on my far left loaded with all 3 of his Loot Tokens. Protected by Herja and a Horde of Fallen this would prove very difficult to deal with.

Turn 1-2

The first two turns were positioning from both of us. I removed 1 of the 3 units of Tundra Wolves and moved to take a more central position on the board.

My opponent advanced much the same way, but had a fairly wider battle line with not as much focus on the center.

Turn 3

This is where my second mistake happened and I am still kicking myself for being so sloppy. My opponent charged one of my Tortured Souls with a unit of Tundra wolves to hold them from advancing too far in the center. I in turn charged the wolves at the bottom of 3, but I also took a flank charge on them with my Moloch horde. The charge allowed me to be in a better position on the field with the reform after combat. This was all fine in good, but I was not paying attention to the horde of Fallen that were within charge range, hanging out in a nearby wood. At was this point I realized I messed up lol.

Turn 4

Capitalizing on my mistake, my opponent charged the Horde of Fallen and Herja into my Moloch Horde and vaporized them. In hindsight this didn't loose me the game per say, but kept me from winning as the Moloch's were holding my Loot Counters and I would have little to no way of getting them back. I also positioned my Arch Fiend poorly and he took a flank charge from the Devourer, but only took 6 wounds and was unaffected by the nerve check.

A prolonged combat with a horde of Fallen and my Well of Souls ended in my Well dying. This could have gone either way but it would be based on who's dice stayed hot. His did mine did not.

On my 4 I was able to  put some wounds onto the King with some Lightning Bolts.

Turn 5-6

I was able to remove the the Fallen Horde that killed the Moloch's, as well as the King and Magus. My opponent and bounced off each other with the remaining parts of our armies.

Left on the table at the end were Herja, Horde of Fallen and the unit of Tundra Wolves with the Loot tokens. For my I had both of my Abyssal Champions and one unit of Tortured Souls.


Thoughts

First off, my opponent played a very tight and tactically sound game. He capitalized on my mistakes and didn't really make any of his own.

The list has promise and I was happy to give it a spin. With any army of this size and "elite" nature, practice will be needed.

Abyssal Champions with wings and LB (5) are fantastic. They can be almost anywhere and still have combat prowess when they need to get stuck in. They are a large point sink of about 490 pts between them, but this is also points denial if used effectively.

Looking forward to more games with this list, I try to get 10 games in with something before I toss it out. Ideally it would be great to play against different people and armies but we will see.

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment