Thursday, July 27, 2017

It's Not the Size, It's How You Use It.....I think


I have been playing Kings of War since its first edition, but with work, school and 2 kids my personal gaming time is all but non-existent. So as I post up about army progress, list ideas or general game chatter I have noticed a lot of comments on my choice in lists, and mainly about how small and compact my armies are.

This for me is nothing new, I have been playing very small, "elite" style armies forever. Going back to Warhammer 4th and 5th edition this is just how I have like to build and play armies.  

Why? Its a mixture of a few things that I will share with you.

Hobby Time

I have worked in the gaming industry since I was 16 (now 31), starting with GW in a retail store, moving into Trade Sales and ultimately handling Mantic's US business for Mr. Ronnie Renton. You may be asking why this matters. For anyone that has worked for a gaming company, your personal hobby always bleeds into work and at times you never feel like you are switching off to enjoy other aspects of your life. You also travel to gaming conventions, trade shows or do store visits, all of which would normally be time to travel to events to play. 

This lead me to wanting to paint and assemble as few miniatures as possible so that I could play games, and have my armies fully painted. Would I love to play a Goblin Horde, sure but that is just not in the cards.

Slow and painful....


Everyone works and is busy, so I am not saying I am alone. But when you work in the industry that you also enjoy as a hobby your free time usually isn't spent doing that hobby.

Game Time

Time seems to be trendy in this post! Chess Clocks for tournament play is something that I am all for and wish all events would use them. I prefer to play fast, and not to rush anyone I am just one to plan my future turns while my opponent is taking theirs. My smaller armies also lend themselves to these timed conditions. With less on the table to move, fight combats or consider my time is not normally an issue.

Storage & Travel

As stated before, when I play most games I want to play them at a high level and against those who are looking to do the same. This means that I will eventually be driving, or flying out to play somewhere. Having everything from models, books, gaming accessories and my travel essentials going into one or two bags is ideal. I would hate to have to ship my army or display board out to an event and hope that it makes it out.

Fits into  a Battlefoam Pack 432

Now don't take this post as one that says small armies are the best choice or the way you should start thinking during army construction. Its a style that suits me and I hope that you will let me know how you approach armies when your thinking of making them!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post.

    I find myself leaning toward horde armies most of the time. I'm not sure why, but as I look at what I play, it tends to be the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah its always different from player to player. My smaller lists can struggle in terms of game play and competitiveness but my reason for playing them stems more from time and hobby concerns.

      Delete